Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Huge by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a superb choice for owners on the lookout for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the crucial reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an awesome alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nevertheless, you should buy luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, in case you set up it your self, it may solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is slicing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement house — you’ll want anyplace from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply make sure you safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be hooked up.
Watch: How one can Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new residence, and he’s seeing the results of thermal enlargement. Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are crammed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s wonderful how a lot supplies in a house develop and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re crown molding.
These gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. When you have some gaps which can be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem but it surely gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to study the simple method to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it is advisable do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Moreover raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a bit of apparatus appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to comprise the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These might be expensive, so see in case you can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To remove this downside sooner or later, forestall the acorns from falling within the first place. If doable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can forestall acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Take note — eradicating acorns might be time-consuming and also you may have to repeat it as new acorns fall. All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop all of the sudden shattered the opposite day, despite the fact that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it could possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. A few of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop will not be put in appropriately, it could possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an example, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, ultimately inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast modifications in temperature, akin to from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it could possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Generally, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra susceptible to shattering. If that is so, report it to the producer.
You’ll be able to name knowledgeable to switch the glass cooktop, but it surely could be costly. Think about changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To stop a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following tips:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it could possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, akin to forged iron pans or stress cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger impression injury.
- Clear the cooktop repeatedly with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or material to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it could possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Overlaying Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California condominium.
“The floor is just too onerous, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we have now extra comfy flooring put in on high? It looks like elimination will likely be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll wish to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a clean, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it could possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not stage along with your cupboards and counters. Examine the peak of the brand new flooring to verify this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for protecting terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring might be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and simple to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring might be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring may also be put in over the present tiles and is on the market in lots of types and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that isn’t hooked up to the subfloor, any such flooring might be put in over the terracotta tiles and might be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the most suitable choice on your particular state of affairs.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Software — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you should first take away any standing water. Now, you can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you’ll be able to squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or in case you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: How one can Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to go the paint via a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows via a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Reduce the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint via the display screen. When achieved, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and reserve it for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: How one can Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you have a remark, basic query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on At this time’s House owner, please fill on this kind: